The references that a nanny candidate provides are a great resource for insight into how that nanny might fit your family’s unique personality and needs. While contacting references can be time-consuming, it’s a completely necessary step in the process of hiring a new nanny.
Calling up a nanny's reference
For a family hiring their first nanny, it can feel awkward to call a reference. Follow these steps to make this phone call a breeze!
First, introduce yourself, and explain that you are calling for a reference for Ms. Mary Poppins (insert nanny candidate’s name here). Next, ask if now is a good time to talk to ask a few questions about the nanny.
Nanny reference questions that go beyond the basics
It’s wise to have a list of questions ready to go before calling the reference. Pick and choose from our nanny expert’s list below:
- How long did you employ her as a nanny?
- How well would you say you know her?
- Did she drive? Was she willing to drive/was she a responsible driver?
- Tell me about her communication skills? Was she a good communicator regarding any problems, requests for days off, scheduling, etc.?
- Was she punctual? Reliable?
- Why did her employment with you come to an end?
- Would you hire her again?
Beyond the Basics
- How did she get along with your kids?
- Was she high energy or more laid back? Was she creative in coming up with ways to keep the kid’s entertained? Can you give me some examples?
- What was her discipline style like?
- Did she follow directions well?
- Do you feel like she was able to handle things without much supervision?
- Can you give an example of effective problem solving she used while on the job?
- On a scale from 1-10, was she mature, enthusiastic, easy-going?
After thanking the reference for their time, it is ok to ask:
- Would it be alright if I contacted you again if I think of any additional questions?
Hope this list helps ease your mind! In addition to checking employment references, make sure to background check potential nanny hires—click here to learn about a quick and easy way to order a nanny background check, or call 800-626-4829 for a free consultation.